The initiative, called African Academic Diaspora Support to African Universities, seeks to mobilize African academics in the diaspora to contribute to the strengthening of African universities, the nurturing of new generations of scholars in Africa in a culture of excellence, and the revitalization of the social sciences, Arts and Humanities, and Higher Education Studies. The specific objectives of the initiative will include the strengthening of PhD programs and the curricula in the social sciences and the humanities (SSH); contribute to the filling of gaps and dealing with shortages in teaching; mentoring of young social science scholars in Africa as well as strengthening relations between African academics in the diaspora and the institutions where they are based and African universities. The activities undertaken by Diaspora Academics in collaboration with their counterparts in African Universities include:
• Diaspora Visiting Professorships to African Universities to undertake teaching, curriculum review and course design in the SSH: conduct summer institutes and advanced workshops for doctoral students;
• Mentoring and co-supervision of doctoral students under the CODESRIA College of Senior academic mentors;
• Undertake Joint research on topics related to the African Diaspora and Revitalization of research and teaching in the SSH in African Universities (Research Partnerships;
• Support post-doctoral research by early career academics based in the Diaspora and in African universities.
Books Published under Diaspora Program
Working Paper Series
L’Université africaine est historiquement le produit d’une relation de dépendance vis-à-vis de l’Occident. Secret de polichinelle ! Dans sa sphère francophone comme dans sa zone anglophone, les traces d’une telle relation restent encore visibles à travers le contenu des enseignements et les lieux de publication des savoirs produits sur l’Afrique. Après moult stratégies infructueuses de sortie de crise, l’investissement de la diaspora intellectuelle africaine au fonctionnement et à la gestion de l’Université a récemment été présenté comme la recette miracle, obtenant l’adhésion d’organisations philanthropiques, d’agences de coopération étrangères et des États africains. Read More
African Academics in Germany: Revitalising African Universities is a thought-provoking work. It challenges African scholars to re-examine their contribution to their motherland. It invites German universities and scholarship providers to assess the relevance of the education offered towards the transformation of African higher learning institutions. Read More
This handbook presents a selection of qualitative, quantitative, emergent and comparative research methods, many of which are African-centered. Furthermore; it discusses epistemological paradigms in the social research, mentoring techniques, publishing strategies, Internet research techniques, and research integrity and ethics. The book is designed primarily to provide researchers with an understanding of some research approaches that are useful for researching Africa. By asking fundamental questions about how to rethink methods, this book is also a critical contribution for thinking through knowledge decolonisation. Read More
- Field Experiences: Interventions by African Diaspora Academics to support Humanities and Social Sciences in African Universities. A Project Completion Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Alatinga, Kennedy (2019) Access to Health care for Marginalized and Vulnerable Populations: The Case of Migrant Adolescent Girls’ Head Porters in Ghana. A Postdoc Research Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Njoku, Carol Ijeoma (2019) Towards Rehumanizing Women in the Nigerian and Sudanese Civil War Narratives: Human Rights Perspectives. A Postdoc Research Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Githinji, Felicity Wanjiru (2019) Effective Mentoring and Academic Advising Interventions for Adult Learners in African Universities: The Kenyan Context. A Postdoc Research Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Ouma, Stephan et al. (2019) Universities Curricula and Demands of the Labour Market: A Case of Selected Universities in Tanzania. A Research Partnership Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Desta, Amare (2019) African Doctoral and Masters Academy (ADMA): A Knowledge Exchange Model to Develop the Capacity of Universities. A Research Partnership Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Lekunze, Ransom (2019) Promoting Food Security of Low-Income Women in Central Uganda. A Research Partnership Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
- Tutu, Raymond Asare and Boateng, John (2019) Investigating technology-mediated faculty-student interactions among graduate Ghanaian university students. A Research Partnership Report. Location: CODESRIA Carnegie Page (Temporarily Restricted Access, On Demand).
Série de Livres du CODESRIA
- A. Gueye, M. Okyerefo, P. Diédhiou, A. Bogale. 2019. De la dépendance vis-à-vis de l’Occident à l’expression du besoin de diaspora intellectuelle africaine: L’Université africaine et les défis de son développement. CODESRIA : Dakar.
CODESRIA Monograph Series
- Mutalemwa, G. 2019. African Academics in Germany Revitalising African Universities. CODESRIA : Dakar.
CODESRIA Textbook Series
- Bangura, A. K, Obando, J.A.; Munene, I.I., and Shisanya, C. 2019. Conducting Research and Mentoring Students in Africa. CODESRIA: Dakar.
Journal of Higher Education in Africa
- Patrício V. Langa & Samuel Fongwa. 2019. Scholars on the Move: Reclaiming the African Diaspora to Support African Higher Education. Specnial Issue of JHEA Vol. 16, Nos 1&2, 2018. CODESRIA: Dakar.