Deadline: 15th. September 2015Number of visits: 1927
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from suitably qualified nationals of African countries to fill the vacant position of Director of Administration and Finance in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. This position is categorised as one of the senior posts in the Council and the successful candidate will join a team of staff members functioning under the direct supervision of the Executive Secretary of the Council.
Recognised as the premier centre on the continent for the generation and dissemination of multidisciplinary social science knowledge, CODESRIA has undergone an exponential growth in programmes, finances and membership over the last decade. The Administration, and Finance department has, as its primary responsibility, the day-to-day management of the administrative and financial affairs of the Council, covering banking and accounting services, the preparation of financial reports for submission to the funders of the Council, budget monitoring and control, human resources (staff recruitment, training, evaluation, discipline and welfare), protocol services, the maintenance of the headquarters building, the monitoring of the physical assets of the Council, the internal and external audits of the financial statements and other accounts of the Council, and all aspects of the procurement of goods and services for the use of the Council.
The Department is also involved in the implementation of a long-term strategy for the financial stability and sustainability of the Council, including the CODESRIA Endowment Fund.
Furthermore, the Director of Administration and Finance (DAF) is responsible for preparing the annual workplan of activities and budgets of the Council, and for monitoring expenses and programme implementation. The successful candidate will also be called upon to initiate, develop and apply new human resource management tools, lend support in the implementation of an IT plan, contribute to the organisation of donor conferences, and manage aspects of the Council’s relations with the public administration services of the host country as may be entrusted to him/her. In all, the candidate who will be chosen will be expected to work towards the efficient and result-oriented administration of all aspects of the mandate of the Council.
Key responsibilities of the DAF also include the following: provides strategic leadership and guidance in administrative and financial management; leads a team of staff in delivering CODESRIA’s administrative and financial obligations; remains up-to-date with the latest methodologies and best-practices, and donor requirements; ensures improved service to Secretariat and community; works with other departments to execute programmes and projects within agreed calendar and timelines; develops suitable and sustainable strategies in administrative and financial management; plans and manages budgets.
More information about CODESRIA and its programmes can be obtained from the Council’s website: www.codesria.org.
• Have a sound university education in the field of business/financial administration, accounting and/or human resource management (an MBA will be an advantage) with at least five years post-graduation experience in a similar position;
• Hold a post-graduate technical qualification in accountancy or in a related field, and have a demonstrable knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) in their current application;
• Have experience in fund management, preferably in a not-for-profit organisation;
• Be familiar with accounting and budgetary systems and software employed by international non-governmental organisations;
• Have a demonstrable capacity to initiate and supervise internal and external audit processes;
• Be conversant with the international research funding environment and the requirements of various funding agencies especially in terms of reporting;
• Be knowledgeable and skilled in the management of all aspects of personnel matters, bearing in mind that CODESRIA is a multi-cultural pan-African environment and is committed to the promotion of gender equality;
• Demonstrate a sound knowledge of procedures linked to the diplomatic immunities enjoyed by international organisations;
• Have a demonstrable knowledge of labour laws in an African context;
• Have a capacity to be innovative and forward-looking in the management of the administrative processes and procedures of an organisation like CODESRIA;
• Have good organizational and time management skills highly desirable.
• Personal attributes should also include strong analytical skills and ability to formulate unique solutions based on knowledge and understanding of the challenges; Be strategic, innovative and creative thinker; planning and problem-solving in both short-term and long-term; results-driven; team player; inclusive, flexible, and sensitive to multi-culturalism;
• Have strong communication skills; be self-motivated; possess the ability to lead and motivate a team is crucial; be a professional with high integrity and good stewardship of resources; and
• Be fluent in French or English and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
The salary level that will be offered will depend on the successful applicant’s experience and qualifications, and will be comparable to those of similar posts in other international organisations.
How to Apply
Applicants must supply the following documents:
1. A written application;
2. A detailed CV describing the contents of their training and professional experience;
3. Three reference letters, two of which must be professional references.
The reference letters in support of candidates must be sealed and sent under separate cover and marked ‘Confidential Reference’, or emailed directly by the referees. The application letters and other supporting documents of candidates should be sent in a sealed envelope marked ‘Application Documents’, or emailed to the address below. Reference letters and applications sent by email should have ‘APPLICATION’ written in the subject line. Both the applications and the reference letters should be sent to:
The Executive Secretary
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop x Canal IV
B.P. 3304, CP 18524,
All applications must be received by 15th. September 2015. Any application received after this date will not be considered.